Sunday, September 15, 2024

09.15.24 Nice weekend down in Cape May...

 


     It's funny this place in Cape May. Love to have it but hate paying for it. With yearly "dues" around $9,000 it's not cheap but having a place to escape to for six months out of the year is just great. People argue that if you were to rent a place, like a house, for a week in Cape May or Wildwood Crest it would set you back $5 - $6,000. And while we think about selling it from time to time it only takes a great weekend, even a short one, to make us reconsider. And from real estate moves in the past, the Poconos and the Adirondacks, once they're sold and gone that's pretty much it. So we have a three year Hilton Head and Cape May plan, God willing. 

     And nothing says fall weekend in Cape May without hitting the yard sales. But we have remained laser focused to reduce our crap and not buy anything else. even finding a South Carolina flag for five bucks couldn't veer us of our path of decluttering. 

     But the same couldn't be said for the French fry holder we found for $3. what an invention. No more McDonald's, better than Burger King, fries falling between the seats. This fits in the cup holder and has 

a vent holder for your sauces or for ketchup if you prefer to choke them down that way. Of course at some pint I had to field test this piece of geniusness and it worked as designed. 

    After dinner at Lucky Bones, where I had the best mussels in a long time, along with a few Guinness', we did the Washington Street walk. We dropped a $20 for the Mercedes Benz offered for raffle by Our Lady of the Sea Church and had some very expensive, isn't everything these days, at a newer ice cream shop. While walking on Bank Street I stopped at Andrea 

Trattoria Italiana where they offered up a striped bass entree for $36. We don't have a commercial fishery for striped bass here in New Jersey and it can't be sold at local markets or offered for sale, at least I guess wild striped bass. I think they should, for $36, let you know that it's farmed striped bass 

you'd be getting. Seems a tad steep for that. Now in states that do have commercial fishing they can offer them up for sale at a restaurant, just not in Jersey. 

     During one of our walks we stopped at the marina and I watched a guy, well several guys, load up some really nice boats onto some really nice trailers pulled by some really nice trucks. I wouldn't say I'm jealous but maybe a tad envious. Tis' the season for the boat angler as the 

blues, albies, bonito, and striped bass are starting their fall invasions and migrations. But that's okay, I'm sitting good, I have my eye on the Hilton Head prize. This week I decided that in order to really get to 

use and enjoy Jims, well my, boat I'll have to deconstruct it to move forward. I asked Paul Eidman who's done the gas tank replacement, deck redo, and repowering for some advice. We talked about the value of the 2002 175 HPDI and the cost of getting a new engine. So I decided to list it on Marketplace before heading south on Friday. 


     My plan is to sell the engine and move forward with the tank and deck replacement. To say the deck is spongy is an understatement. Now the decision is to reach out to Donnie Jones or Matt Marjorie down at Jones to see what they would recommend. 


    The ride home was easy and pretty. Fall is here and some of the foliage is starting to turn. We made a quick left off 206 at Mt. Holly where I met a guy who listed some Weather Tech front mats for the 


Silverado. At 22 years old I'm not buying anything new for her. After a quick hit with the pressure washer these are just perfect. That left some time back at home to meet up with a guy who came over to look at the engine. His plan, and he knows less than me about boat stuff, was to take this off and put it on a 18 foot Lund boat for the Delaware River. He had cash in hand, and was ready....but I couldn't. I did my best to talk him out of it. He would be getting into something he didn't need to be getting into. And then there was the Jets game and some schoolwork I had to put together for the week. 

     At some point there was some lax breaking news about a foiled assassination attempt on President Trump yet again. even with a slow news Sunday the coverage was less than appropriate, but that's the way things are these days. The Washington Post had it up on their site, describing it as an "episode". Like a seizure, or a re-run of All in the Family, or these days a Presidential assignation attempt. God get me out of this world and quick.