Wednesday, August 7, 2024

08.08.24 Alright, you got me, I'm advertising for Islam...

     In a recent post that had nothing to do with fly fishing I included some art speaking to the point that life is short. Let's be honest, the summer months are fishing-slim here on The Average Angler, but as of 


today, we're still holding on to number 23 in the world, according to Feedspot. That's pretty good since I don't have Instagram, no TAA Facebook page, and a Domain Authority of 15, whatever that means. It must mean something because #1 rated Midcurrent has a DA of 47 and #3 Orvis a 65. But back to the post. The art was something I found online and I posted it straight out of the can. In it was the mention 


of the Islamic religion with a website listed as part of the image. No big deal, I'll keep the image as is so it doesn't look like I'm stealing someone else's intellectual property, which we all do from time to time, when writing posts on social media and blog platforms. 


   So I was a little concerned when an email came in from Xenopus Laevis stating- "Your fishing blog advertises for Islam- is that intentional? Screenshot attached." I get emails related to the blog all the time, both good and bad. Now first, that art could have come from someone of Catholic, Christian, Jewish, Buddha or Atheist faith. I'm not sure if atheism is a faith as I write this. The concern when using or linking something in social media is you're not always 100% sure if it's on the up and up. We've all clicked on something we thought was benign only to be horrified to see some inappropriate content on your computer or phone screen. 


     I did a quick check of the website to make sure I wasn't "advertising" for something I didn't want to. A screenshot for that website is above and the link is HERE. I scrolled around and clicked on some of the links and was relieved that it appeared just a legit web page for those interested in learning and or joining Islam. There's nothing wrong with that, I've seen the same for all types of religions out there. That's the great thing about living in the United States and being a citizen, "Freedom of Religion" is one of the five things covered under the First Amendment of the Constitution. 

     With that check done I circled back to the anonymous email. The name on the email is Xenopus Laevis, which after a quick search, comes back as the name of the African Clawed Frog, which lives

   

in Africa. So this came from someone hiding behind an alter, either someone I don't know that reads this blog, or a friend or someone I know that doesn't want me to know they're just checking up on what I meant, or stand behind what might be an-anti Islam position. 

     So to that I'll say this. There are good and bad in all groups out there. Religious, political, sports, you name it, there's extremists in all of them. We've been seeing that more in politics these days to where someone can't even bring up the topic or proudly say which candidate they support without being ridiculed or attacked. That's extreme. And while you can't compare a terrorist group that wants to kill people with a sports fan, well, you kinda can. Have you ever been to a sports event with your family and the extreme fans are drinking, cursing, and yelling inappropriate things to players and fans from the other side about them, their Moms, their wives, and their families? That's inappropriate, it's offensive, and intrusive, and yes can be harmful, maybe not physically, to those in earshot. Imagine spending $400 to take a family of four to, let's just say a Phillies game, and having to listen to that, and risk getting assaulted when you ask them to get back in line. In todays world there is no middle, kinda like the recent weather patterns, it's all or none, up or down, Right or Left, white or not, and black or not, and all of that gets in the way of tolerance and civility. 

     I really do like all people, and people who don't look or roll like me. Diversity is something that drew me to where I currently work. There's diversity in the faculty and the students alike. For twenty five years now I have either lived or worked in Newark so I am used to different-than-me, and I love it. Islam is a religion practiced by many there and people who practice Islam are Muslims. Have you ever really spent some time with people who practice this religion? This ain't just your 45 minutes on a Sunday thing like we see with some who practice Catholicism. It's a 24-hour a day way of life that takes some real dedication and adherence to some really strict rules. I'm not claiming to know all about it but I have enjoyed learning about different religions and cultures during my times in and around Newark. 


     I've also spent some time around Muslims and Islam when I owned Agency New Jersey, the photo agency. I had several assignments both in New Jersey and New York that had me spend time in the local masjid, or mosque. The above image I took at a mosque on Branford Place in downtown Newark. I was always welcomed with open arms and invited to come back. Now, let's be real, you can spend a day in a church, a temple, or a mosque and never really know who you are in arms length of. There's good and bad in each, sinners, criminals and creepers across all religious and cultural lines, so you have to be yourself, take people for what they present to you, and always have your radar on and working.

     One thing I've learned over my near thirty years in the fire and emergency medical service, and in nursing is you treat everyone alike, with respect, and how you want to be treated. Yes, it can be difficult at times, like really difficult, as it is hard to put aside ones owns biases and stereotypes especially when you're dealing with those who have harmed or killed someone else, or are verbally or physically abusive to others, or yourself. But by spending time with and learning different religions and cultures one can be open to the differences in us all. Embracing differences closes the gap and helps us realize we are all human and just trying to get by and live our best lives. 

     Interestingly today I'm headed over to Mt. Sinai Hospital for my continued participation in the 9/11 Rescue Workers Medical Monitoring and Treatment Program. That day, one we all know of, occurred


due to the hatred and murderous acts by Islamic extremists that were part of al-Qaeda. That's what extremists, found in all groups and walks of life do, they hate and hurt. To in any way place blame, or cahootness, of good people with a bunch of assholes is wrong, un-American, and in no way the part of any good and decent religion. 

     So I'll continue to enjoy the differences in us all, continue to hopefully do more good then bad, and do my best to watch what I write here while not worrying about offending people with a different agenda or point of view. 

Getting back to fly fishing and writing about striped bass can't come soon enough.