Wednesday, August 7, 2024

08.07.24 "20 miles offshore, we caught nothing but albies...."


     What? That's the text I get from my 19 year-old daughter? While I was just about done unloading a quarter of my yard at the recycling center, where I'll pick it up as fresh mulch next spring, my phone pinged and it was


a message with some images from Erin. I took a quick peek as the sweat dropped down onto my phone. She and her friend Jake, never seen but known to me as Jake from State Farm, took the "run", as she called it, out to "Little Italy", like in Manhattan?, to look for tuna. Alright, slow down there girlfriend. "What's Little Italy?". "It's a fishing spot that's part of the Mud Hole off of 


Manasquan." Really? Now I've heard of some of these places and I think have been out to the Mud Hole , or some part near it, "running" as Erin says, about 15 miles east of Sandy Hook. It's a bluefish spot and I took the Jones Brothers out there to join in the party boat fray when no limits of bluefish meant tons of filled burlap bags on the decks of the NJ/NY head boats out there. 


     Erin said they left the dock in Atlantic Highlands at 430 am and after the two hour drive they started trolling. I asked if she saw any life up on top and she said no. The only thing they caught were a bunch of albies, like she was bummed, that took whatever chain of baits they were dragging behind the boat. 

     I'm no tuna guy, in fact I've never fished for them before, but I enjoy following my Facebook friend Captain John McMurray of One More Cast Fishing Charters out of New York. From time to time over the years we've been in contact on the water while looking for stripers or albies. It's good to have friends, or friends of friends, while trying to find your clients some fish. 


     I think in the above pic grabbed from John's page they might have been a tad further out then Erin was on Monday. I would love to see her with that fish on the other end of the line. Hopefully Jake has a fighting chair on his families boat because surely Erin would be taking the plunge over the gunnel trying to fight a fish that almost weighs as much as she does.