Wednesday, December 27, 2023

12.27.22 Back from Florida and a miracle on the rocks....

     Rolled into Titusville from the Philadelphia airport about midnight and was out the door at 430 am. After a five day break from all things fishing I needed to get out there. It was 43 degrees outside and a little touch of ENE with overcast skies and some fog and rain. Sounded good to me. But first Florida. 

     It was a nice visit to Florida to see my Mom who now calls Florida home. She's in Bradenton and has a sweet set-up and great group of friends that keeps her calendar full of fun and good times. We first had to get Theresa's "Personal Item" through the gate and once we snuck it through it was a nice 

ride down to the Sarasota-Bradenton Airport. It was great to see Mom, take about 25 naps, eat too much, just sit and catch up, and then the ever popular reflect on and ponder the meaning of and the future of my life. 

     We ate out a few times but were treated to her friends house for Christmas dinner. It was a throwback meal for me because they made it the same way I had it in my youth. Baked ham topped with pineapple 


and cloves, and of course, a cherry. Now, Mom's ham was one of those that came in a can, which I loved, but this one was from the local Amish market. I came to learn this area of Florida has a large population down here, with the Amish markets to boot. 

     We did some visiting with friends while we were down there as well. I caught up with my friend John who I graduated the fire academy with, our friends Stacy and Neils up in Dunedin, and Theresa's friend Janet in Clearwater. We got around during out visit. The weather was overcast and cool, which was fine by us and the nicest day was as we were heading out. A stop at Coquina Beach with a quick


walk to Longboat Pass looking for shadows in the wash. One of these trips I'll have to do some fishing because there is a lot of water down here, but, there's a ton of people and boats as well. Every flat had 


boats anchored up so the chances of finding tailing fish must take work, and work in places that are out of eyesight from the busy roads, bridges, and beaches. We stopped at St. Armand's Circle for lunch 


before heading to the airport for our 630 flight. I have been coming to Longboat Key, and now Bradenton, for 40 years, and I never ate at the Columbia Restaurant, until this trip. It's a Cuban eatery


and it's a must hit if you head down to this area. Good drinks, food and service. I would say it's "legit" but that's coming from a half Irish and Polish meat and potatoes guy. While we were there we learned 


our flight got delayed due to weather so it was a few hours hang in the airport. I didn't waste time to take yet another nap. I have never been this tired or slept this much in my life. It must be that fresh Florida air. 


     We were warned by the flight crew that "It was bumpy on the way down" and to expect more of the same heading north, and we did. It was my bumpiest flight I can ever remember taking. Not like 


dropping 30,000 feet kinda stuff, just back and forth up and down, for probably half of the two hour flight. Things settled down as we neared Philly and I was looking forward to getting home and ready 


for some early A.M. fishing. Somehow we remembered where we parked as the shuttle bus made it's way to several economy lots and stops. As people pulled away we got in the Jeep and and .....dead. 


     Luckily they have a free service that handles this very common situation in the large parking lots. As soon as he hit the terminals the Jeep turned over. By midnight we were home and shortly the Jeep was ready to go. 



     Not much to say about the fishing that you haven't read before. Two flies. Started in the dark. Walked a lot and covered some ground in two towns. I was encouraged because while I was down in Florida Leif texted me some pics of a nice fish he landed one afternoon. I fished from 0530-930. 

 Petterson photo

     I caught the end of the incoming tide and the beaches have changed since that huge blow last week. Lots of sand left the beach and the beach scarp is long and sloping into nice troughs. With the waves 



breaking on them it wasn't easy fishing them if that's where the fish were. While walking and casting was fun, but without any hits, I really wanted to get out on the rocks. Those boulders moved around a bit as well during that blow last week. It took me a while looking at familiar rocks to see the changes. 


     I made my way out and after a few casts landed the only fish of the day. I snapped a quick pic and put the phone back in my jacket pocket. I reached down to grab the fish and I watched as the phone slid 


out and down into the crevice between two rocks. It was a clean no touching the sides landing straight into the water below. I got the fish back thinking the phone was gone. As the wave crashed on the rocks the water filled in and then ebbed. There was no sight of the phone. It was swimming in saltwater. And the plastic that covers the charging port is hanging on by a thread. Good-bye phone....now what. 

     Well I took a shot. Off came the stripping basket and down into the water I went. I reached down and under the one rock and into the opening below the crevice. As I swept as much as an area as I could the waves would come in and let me know there was an incoming tide. On my last ditch attempt I did it again and with tips of two fingers I could feel the phone. It was totally submerged but I backed it out. 

     Don't you know that thing still worked even with the charging port open to the saltwater? I fished for another hour or so and kept taking pictures. I got a call and the speaker was fine. When I got back in the Jeep it went right on the charger and didn't say, "Moisture Detected". That, my friends, is a Christmas gift into itself. Of course I said a few, "Thank You Jesus" throughout the day for looking out. 


     I was off to meet Erin for a coffee and bagel but before I committed to Red Bank I stopped in Long Branch to see if anyone was home. I met another angler who said the afternoons into the evenings have been good, last night two keepers, along with other fish that "were blowing up". Mmmm....okay. So there's still fish to be had, as usual, for this time of year. Looking at the weather for the next week you have a pretty good chance of ending 2023 and starting 2024 with a bass. That was my last, ocean side anyway, bass for 2023.