Saturday, December 2, 2023

12.01.23 On the board for December...

     Well that's in the books. Today at work I had to proctor an exam for the students and I brought a little reading material along with me to pass the time. While I was sitting there I was thinking of what my outings might look like going into December. Then I checked the local tide chart and looked at my watch. I got through a lot of the book and one day I have to tie up some flies going step by step as Bob outlines. That book is a great tool, tools help things get done, and usually easier. 


     I have to say I really enjoying teaching this group of future Registered Nurses. They have come together as a class and although nursing school ain't easy they are grinding thorough and getting it done. Today's lesson was how to provide post-mortem care. That means how to care for a body after life has left it and prepare it for the families viewing, the morgue, and the medical examiner. One thing for sure is while seeing them practice is great, guiding students through the real deal for the first time is something to see. 

     So after work was done I would have the outgoing tide, somewhat, and I would fish my 30-cast spot for a bit before heading home. The air temps were just below 50 and there was a steady misting rain. I haven't caught a fish here during my last outings but today found a really pretty river fish that took a small white Hollow Fleye. 

     River fish are so pretty. The darks are dark. The contrast is pleasing to the eye. And river fish fight nice like a river fish should. It's in stark contrast to the fish I caught last week that was pale and didn't 

have any contrast at all. No matter what I did when I developed the above image I couldn't get it to look any better. I'm not sure if it's the cold water or the habitat that they live in that causes them to color differently. But one thing I can say is the same fish in the river is far prettier than then same fish in the ocean. 

     While driving south I decided to hit yet another river spot. Could it be a quick pick of a fish in each river? Well not today. Two rivers, one fish. While I am kinda happy with the varied fishing spots that I have there are 1,000 more. Each day guys go down to their "30- cast spot", to see if anyone is home. I'll have to spend some time this winter scouting out new spots, and those are usually in the most populated and industrialized areas of New Jersey.