It was only a few weeks ago that I used an old picture of Charlie Shapiro fishing the pocket at Big Monmouth in a post about beach replenishment. Sadly, I have learned Charlie passed away a few days ago. I wasn't a part of Charlie's inner circle but I can tell you he was a true gentlemen, and always happy, at least when I saw him.
Charlie was a fixture on the fishing, especially fly fishing, scene around New Jersey. I remember first meeting him in the late 1990's at The Fly Hatch and then on the beach, always when the fish were around. He was great fly fishermen. He was also a part of the Jones Brothers gang from way back when. He was a great resource for me when I got my first, and then second 19'10 Cape Fishermen.
He split his time between Florida and I would see his fishing posts from time to time. He will surely be missed especially by the circle of friends he had here in New Jersey. If I found Charlie on the beach surely Jack and Hugh were within casting distance. On his Facebook page there's a bunch of photos of Charlie with fish he caught from the Catskills to the oceans from New Jersey to Florida and beyond.
But the one I liked, and remember him the most, is him with that big smile and a striped bass in hand while on the sand in New Jersey. RIP Captain Charlie.
So after two days of flood tide drama day three was going to happen without a bump. I started the morning running around with Theresa and that kind of put me behind the eight ball a bit. I came up with a late plan to find another flood tide spot, one that had more of a flat to walk and search for redfish. I arrived there with about 30 minutes before the top of the tide, which was a little late.
As I got dressed the rain started which wasn't all that bad. A few raindrops here and there wouldn't bother me and wouldn't get in the way of me seeing fish on the flats. Theresa asked me why I don't ask around for some intel but I told her there's nothing like finding your own fish. This is more about hunting than it is fishing.
The spot I picked had already flooded in so I missed the water, and fish, covering the sand, mud, and grass. As each minute passed the rain picked up but that wasn't before I saw some fish waking, not tailing, around. I pulled out some fly line and had my fly draped over the fingers on my left hand. Within 5 minutes I saw a nice redfish coming at me. I started my cast and let the fly drop about 10 feet in front of it, waited, and then started a slow strip. He, or she, ate it, and I was tight.
Once it realized it was hooked it was gone. It's all new to me so I enjoyed watching the fish go from left to right in a hurry with the leader and fly line being pulled across the grasses. I wasn't quite sure where it was heading an after applying a little pressure the fly popped. It was good. I was good. Then the thunder, and lightning started up. I didn't want to leave, but after seeing what happened to Rick Stanzyck last week, coupled with the way I've started out down here, I thought it would be best to chalk the quick session up to Mother Nature and the fish gods and head for safety.
I was tempted to stay and wait it out but I knew the tide had turned and it was now on the ebb. I don't know if redfish stay and play on the dropping tide just yet? Do they turn tail and head out off the flats as soon as they feel the pull of the reversed water flow? These aren't the sandy flats of the Vineyard, these fish are back into the woods if you will and I would think could get caught if they wait too long.
Like the last few days this rain came quick, and hard. The other day it rained three inches in a little over an hour and that seems to be how it goes down here. It get super hot, then the storms come, then they pass and it gets cooler, before the blue skies and heat come back.
Not wanting the day to end I took a ride onto Hilton Head were the tide was still at slack. I spent some time watching, and learning, but didn't find any fish on patrol along the edges. One thing of note is I haven't seen anyone fishing. Not on foot or from a skiff or boat. Maybe I'm in the wrong spots.
As the moon phase is waning gibbous, at 86%, three days now past the full moon, the flood tides are a little less floody. Today I plan on getting to the flat early were I'll be able to meet the water, and the fish, on their way in. I just hope Mother Nature doesn't ruin my plan. I'm pretty much going out there with a rod and stripping basket as I haven't been able to find that bin, one of 100, that holds my stuff like my sling pack, which leaves me feeling naked.
I saw that after I left the river two days ago the search for the missing person continued. Well yesterday they not only found one deceased person but two.
I don't know the circumstances of these deaths but I can't remember learning about so many water related deaths in a single year as in 2026. From the Delaware River, to Barnegat Bay, the Jersey Shore, and now the Lowcountry, it just reaffirms the respect I have for the waters I fish. Things can always go sideways in a split second.
As we continue to set up shop and get acquainted with our new life we're starting to realize all things that this move is providing for us. It's hard to imagine that after the storms pass we can just drive over to one of the pools, take a swim, pull up to the bar for a bite and a beer, and then sit by the fire as the sun sets.
Everyone we have met has been welcoming and helpful. Yesterday while having at the poolside bar we met a couple from New York who have a place hear but will move down permanently in December, and a couple from New Jersey who were waiting the arrival of their stuff from the same movers we used. For those that have done this already they all say they brought too much stuff with them and that it takes a long while to get set up and into the routine of a new life. That's not a bad thing to have to worry about. So far so good.