Tuesday, August 4, 2026

08.04.26 Nice switch with Orvis rod repair...

 


     As I was going through my stuff in Cape May I came across that rod box I got from Bay Street Outfitters in Beaufort. As I've done many times before with Orvis Rod Repair I planned on sending back my Helios 3D 10 and 12 weights. When I went online and registered both rods to see if they were eligible I was pleasantly surprised that Orvis now offers a section replacement program. 

     Rather then send the entire rod back you just fill out the form and they send you a replacement section. For me that's a mid-butt section for the 12 weight where the snake guide came unglued and for the 10 weight a new tip section after I ran it over at Red Beach while up on the Vineyard with the boys in June. 

     And why did I run it over? Well it was because I was all flustered and pissed off that my Orvis PRO zip bootfoot waders were leaking somewhere above the knees which filled up both boots. It was Abe Pieciak who caught the moment I released the water onto the pavement. Notice the Jersey plates, well no more.


     So I started that repair process and that's a tad more involved. Before you do it make sure you have them ready outside and your iPhone camera in hand. They want pics of every angle and part of the wader. My fear is, in the end, they'll just credit me something towards a new pair, but, that wouldn't be cool. I love the boot foot waders, especially for the beach, but it looks like Orvis has stopped offering them, like they did with their indestructible stripping baskets. 


     I have been in a Large 11 and see they only have 10's left, that'll due, as my feet were swimming, no pun intended, a bit in the larger size. My problem is my waders are down in South Carolina and I won't be back down south until the third week of August. I might have to call them and see if they can work something out for me, yeah right. 

     The Orvis rod repair and their new section replacement option will run you $60 bucks but they pick up the shipping. Soon I should have two sections delivered to Cape May so I can be ready to fish when I get back the last week in August. I plan on hitting the water inn search for some tarpon just as the mullet run begins.