Sunday, August 30, 2026

08.30.26 Getting the most out of AAA...


     Maybe the Lowcountry fish gods are trying to send me a message. After yesterday's puddle debacle I made sure I was prepared, and cautious, when I got down to the water. I got all my stuff together, made sure I had a water with me, threw the keys in my dry bag, locked the truck, and shut the door. 

     I started to walk to the point where I would have to cross through a creek before the incoming tide filled it in. As I waked I felt like I forgot something, "Oh, the dry bag".


     So as I walked back I did a pat down of my body looking for my keys. Keys I always use to lock my truck and keys I always leave on the roof so I don't lose them, or lock them inside. Well yesterday morning I went old school and used the lock on the door, big mistake. I was locked out.


     But before that happened, when I first pulled in, I noticed I wasn't alone at this spot. I had come to learn the Beaufort County Sheriff's Marine Units were searching for a body reportedly missing from across the river at the boat ramp. That was bad mojo number 1.  

     I then had to figure out how to get into the truck. I hadn't put one of those hide-a-key things under my truck and there was no spare at home. So like yesterday, I walked around for about 30 minutes looking for a wedge shaped piece of wood and a hanger or some kind of wire. I was going to get in myself. Then I remembered that this isn't my first fishing-locked-out-rodeo. I had done this over the past few years on the road near the Delaware and Hackensack Rivers. I had tried to get in myself but eventually had to call AAA to save the day. 


     The guys above helped me out in New Jersey and got it in about five minutes after using a small air bag and wire rod to open the handle. I was hesitant, due to embarrassment, to call AAA again since I had used them the day before, and in the same location. But hey, that's what I'm paying for. But first I called the guy who came to pull me out yesterday. He had called me on his personal phone so I gave him a shot. Well, he explained after he helped me yesterday he went to his next job which was a side of the road tow. He got hit by a car, broke his arm, and will need surgery. Bad mojo number 2. 


      My new friends at United States Transport arrived within 10 minutes of my call to AAA. They were just as timely yesterday and had me back inside my truck within 10 minutes. After they pulled off I grabbed my gear and headed for the crossing. It was just about high tide and that 


probably meant the water would be nipple high if I tried to cross. The bottom is solid. I had a dry bag. What could happen? It was then I looked up and the Sheriff's boat was making another pass. I thought of the 1980's song by The Clash, "Should I stay or should I go", and with the way things were going the last few days I decided to just stay on the dry side. 


     There was still things to see and learn. I watched as the water filled the flat, and then paused at slack, before retreating back into the river. I didn't see any signs of life but that was okay. I took the chance to walk and get the feeling of the bottom in short grasses vs taller ones. 


     I was able to get home without any more drama but I had missed my shot at the moon flood tide at this spot. When I went through the pictures I had to shake my head. Look at that big goof above. Big belly, a stripping basket, which no one uses down here, red bathing suit, black Ocean State Job Lot socks, and cheap wading boots. If I thought I would blend in down here I guess I was wrong.