Monday, January 15, 2024

01.15.24 That wasn't a typo....

     A few days back I posted about what I thought was a typo on The Fly Fishing Show's website. It was in regards to a casting class being offered at the show, well actually on Thursday, a day before the show opens. Most of the  classes listed on the "Featured Classes" page all had a $97.25 cost for admission while this one, listed first, came in at $627.25. I thought for sure it was just a typo. 

     Brad, over at BuzFly, let me know that the price was correct, it is a great 8-hour class and he knows people who have taken it and loved it. From what I hear Borger and Brown are a hoot together, as well as very knowledgeable in fly casting. This is an advanced level class, not for someone, like me, who failed the FFF Casting Instructor (CI) performance part of the test, twice. What's funny is I went back and looked at the post on my second strike-out and was a tad, well, let's say not so forthcoming about 

how Shiela Hassan, who is this year listed as the second class on The Fly Fishing Show's website below Borger & Brown, and tested me during the 2013 TFFS, well told me, "Sorry, not this time". That was back in 2013. I went 0-2 for the CI Certification and never went back. I can remember preparing for the exam and buying Hassan's book just to make sure I had her lingo down and anything else that might help, well, it didn't. I'm a loser. 

     The Borger & Brown class is being offered at each of TFFS stops. It's held on Thursday so it doesn't get in the way of their weekend classes (above). Below is a screenshot from the Pleasanton, California show which is held out west at the end of February before 

heading east for a wrap up in Lancaster in early March. I noticed the class list isn't out yet for Lancaster so I'm not sure if they're making the trip back. But what I did notice is the East & West Coast pricing is the same, I just thought that would be an interesting thing to see if there was a difference. 

      And then, well, you know. So let's say I plop down the $627.25 for the 8-hour day with the B-brothers. I have heard they get a few students for each class. If I am the only one who registers does the show go on? They should have a minimum listed so people know it's a go no matter what, or not.

1 person or 10 people I guess the show must go on? That's a long 8-hour day with three or four people, or more, but I don't think my adult-onset ADHD would allow me to focus that long. But again, I hear it's a great class, and after my two failed CI attempts probably something I could use. 

     And back to the "And then, well, you know.....". About the registration. I go online to make sure I get a seat in the class. I click on it and put my card info in and see that if I pay the $625.00 I get hit with a 

$2.25 Fee......really. I drop nearly over a half a thousand dollars ($625) and you gotta get me for another $2.25? "Well, that's not us.....". No, yes it is. They shouldn't have to pay that convience fee, or whatever they call it these days.   

     And then how do you explain hitting people buying a three day pass, which means they are coming and spending money and putting bodies on the show floor, which keeps the vendors and presenters happy, for three days, getting hit with a 10% vig of $5.10 just to pre-purchase the tri-day entry pass? Just imagine $5.10 + $5.10 + fee + fee, somebody's gettin' paid.  C'mon man...that shit ain't right.