Wednesday, November 22, 2023

11.22.23 You just gotta go...

 

     I've been laser focused on the beach during this fall run. It's usually late fall when I start to check out the bays and rivers to find fish that have creeped into their wintering over waters. Since I work midweek and I wanted to fish I thought today may be a good day to test out a familair haunt. 


    I have a spot that I'd like to call my own. It's a long walk through the marsh and I've always found myself alone there, which is how I prefer to fish. Most spots, well all of them these days, are frequented by anglers especially when the bite it hot. This place kind of falls under the radar and for most wouldn't be worth the time or effort. But for me it is. 


    I had the end of the incoming in a misting rain with cool air temps. It's the kind of place I'd call a "30 cast place". If they are there you would know after about 30 casts. I held on for longer then that today but no one was home. Either it's too early for those bass that are frolicking around in the bay or surf to find their winter home or their still up and haven't dropped down yet, although I don't think it's the former. 


    While I've been sucked into the blitzing bass of the fall run it's good to step back and look at things other than the crowds and the beach. If my fall ended tomorrow I'd be good with what I've had. Some early fish, a long drought, followed by lots of time with some good payoffs. I haven't landed a big fish this fall but I did have one on way early and wish I could have that one back. 

     I knew the weather was going to get sloppy starting yesterday and I'm not sure how the water quality will hold up. That first day of the blow usually churns things and gets the fish tuned up. I saw the below picture of a spot that I frequent and it just goes to show how things change hour to hour, tide to tide, and day to day. Kudos to those guys working hard in the elements to get it done. For me, it looks like Friday might be my next outing, and I hope the various winds and swells don't make it unfishable.