Friday, October 27, 2023

10.27.23 I just love this guy....



     I really love this guy. This is Dominic DePrume posing proudly with a beautiful 49 inch bass he caught yesterday off the beach in Island Beach State Park. Barefoot. Shirtless. Smile from ear to ear. But this picture tells me so much more about this fall run, and even about myself. 

     You see, I am a striped bass fly fisherman. I think about these fish. Every. Single. Day. I study them. I talk about them. I photograph them. I read about them. I spend money regarding all aspects of pursuing them. I buy fly tying material. I buy flies. I buy waders. I buy rods. I buy reels. I am a good fly fisherman......

......who hasn't been catching fish. In fact I've sucked it up good this "epic" fall run. Additionally, I know that you have to know the moon phases. The tides. The winds. The water temperatures. You have to be dialed in, and you know what I am, dialed into continuing to find the skunks out there. You know what, I know shit. 

     But Dominic knows. He knows it's a beautiful day to go down to the beach and and strip down to just some shorts and enjoy the high bright sun with a southwest wind with an incoming tide. He knows it's a great day to stop by Betty's and Nick's and pick up a few freshly caught bunker from the big cooler in the shop. He knows that it's a great day to bust out the rusty knife and cut up a few bunkers and soak some chunks. And he knows that he'll be able to enjoy the soak from the chair planted in the sand next to that rod he breaks out from time to time to fish. 

     You see, Dominic gets it. Dominic today is my man. I love Dominic. Why? Because he has done everything opposite of what I think and know to be true, and you know what, he landed that 40 + pound fish just staying put and fishing that one spot. No binoculars. No blitz chasing. Just fishing for the love of fishing on a beautiful summer, well it's October 26th and 80 degrees out, day. 


     There's alot that separates me and Dominic. He caught, and I haven't. He's got a smile on his face on the beach, I'm usually frowning like my underwear is all bunched up in my waders. I say good for you Dominic. No doubt you walked that big bass into the trough and let her swim off strong. The only thing I would ask is a better handling of the bass, but at least his fingers aren't into the gill rakers. 

     Maybe I'm overthinking all of this striped bass fishing. It's been a while since I had that look on my face while holding a very large striped bass. Maybe I should stop thinking so hard and just fish. 

Well played Dom and thank you.....