Monday, October 16, 2023

10.16.23 I had this song in my head all day....


.........long. My man's kicks had me back in senior year of high school when Run DMC put out their song, "My Adidas". I actually saw Run DMC with LL Cool J and The Fat Boys back in 1984 at The 


Capitol Theatre in Passaic. Anyway, this guy did the best job I have ever seen in keeping his sneaks high and dry while dodging the incoming tide and swell. It didn't matter if it was on a cast or on his retrieve those pulled out tongues never saw a touch of saltwater. 


     So as far as fishing today....yeah, burned another day with the wife. Saturday was good, Sunday was a blowout so I didn't go, and today was my day off so I had to. Started in Belmar wanting to hit this fishy spot on what I thought was the perfect conditions for, a few days after the New Moon, incoming tide, west wind, and water that was just off color a touch. 

     I laid off the popper/dropper but replaced them with a black Hollow Fleye and a smaller black fly trailer. Worked it good into first light and nothing seemed to be happening. My plan was start here, head north for a stop or two, and then finishing up at The Hook. Why not? Sounded solid. 


     When I got to my first, well second stop, I switched up my fly and went solo with a Squimpish bunker fly that swam bigger than it looked below. There were a bunch of guys south of me, well us, because DJ Run and his buddy joined me just as things were starting to look good. 


     There was a solid swell in close sets that kept me and DJ dancing to not get blown down, or wet. Everything looked good, all we needed was some bait in tight with bass on them. At one point I had the


boys on either side of me and the chap below threw out a large plug or Bomber and I watched shortly after it hit it got bit, "Grande, grande", and by the time the ...nde on the second grande came out of his mouth he was off. I can say this, his cast hit the spot where I had just seen a big blow-up just a minute 


or so before. I waited and waited, well I actually casted the whole time. It got better looking as the day got brighter and the tide ebbed. There were markedly less boats out there today, a Monday, and the ones 


that were from north to south didn't look like they were sticking anywhere for long. I did see bunker out a bit and before I called it a day I pulled out the binoculars and gave a look north. Wow! Birds, boats, waves.....let's go! So I walked, yes I walked, about a half mile north. And when I got there, ding, dong, 


dang. You see, there were still birds, four of them, boats three of them, and waves.....but in the compressed view through the binoculars it looked like it was going off. Well, the birds were 1/2 mile apart, the boats in Staten Island, and the waves breaking way off the beach. Dejected I walked back to my truck and still stayed for another hour. Right before I left I had peanuts in the pocket.....with nothing on them. So I tipped my hat and headed out. 


     On my way home I couldn't resist stopping at Bagel Talk on Main Street in Neptune, opposite Ocean Grove. I have to say it's my second bagel there in three days and for $5.62 for a egg and cheese and a milk I'm in anytime I'm around there. While standing and waiting a few kids came in from fishing. I asked them how their morning was. They were just south of me and had the same thing I did, nothing. But what they shared was the story and video watching a bluefin busting right off the front of the groin they were at. Then I thought, wow, "Grande, grande" may not even know what he was possibly hooked into.