Friday, September 29, 2023

09.29.23 I knew it was going to be messy...


     You don't know if you don't go. That's what I always say. You can get tipped off to a bite. You can creep on the internet reports. You can check out the tide and weather apps. But in the end you won't really know until you go. 


     Last night while taking out the garbage I looked up and saw the September Harvest Moon, the last supermoon of the year. This is a bid tide moon you always want to fish. If Mother Nature wasn't on her cycle and all kinds of pissed off this week it might be good, or at least fishable. And I'm talking out front. I love fishing crappy weather and big water. It keeps the fakers away.


    One of the bright spots about this morning was an alleged break in the NE wind which has been blowing for about a week. It was supposed to be 10-13 ENE, Yeah right. I kept checking the Windfinder app and the wind speed never changed. I'm not sure what's up with that but it was more 25 NE. 


    Richie and I met up and caught up and watched and waited but deep down really knowing it wasn't going to happen. It was just the flip from high to low and too off color. Not You-Hoo or chocolate milk but enough to decrease my confidence. I thought about waiting the drop out but I lost interest. I had the big stick out today which I thought would help with distance in the wind. I had loaded up a 550 gr line and pair of Snake Fly's as an offering. I didn't even make a cast although at one point I 




found myself trying to Double-Dutch time the waves to see if I could make it out and onto the rocks. At one point I took a step and a rouge wave came over the top which would have swamped me. Later....


     I made my way up the sand covered stairs and decided to break the rule and keep my waders on to hit another spot out back. One thing I have found handy is this magnetic rod holder that I put on the 



side of my truck which secures the rod, especially when it's blowing. It prevents it sliding down your vehicle and then stepped on when you don't see it. It's made by Tightline Enterprises from Oklahoma. 


     I thought one of the two inlets might be a better place to go. Maybe the bass, blues or even albies had tucked themselves inside and away from the big water. Besides, it was on the outgoing so maybe the bait was going to get pulled out to a waiting bunch of fish. I took a walk and fished without seeing any bait, birds, or bass. It was nice because I was out of the wind and the water was flat so I could see 


something if it moved. Thank God for some smart person in Manasquan that thought kindly enough to place a couple of Jonny-On-The-Spots in just the perfect location. You know what that means. 


     I moved to see if things had got any better out front with the dropping tide. Well, not so much. The beach was bad but the inlet was more than fishable. There were birds hovering out on the end but I 



wasn't feeling it nor did I want to risk it. Besides, they were looking to pick the north side which was unfishable with the fly rod. I settled into a spot inside where the current ran down the wall before wrapping around the start of the jetty. It was good as a spot that I could find even though the wind grabbed my fly on the backcast. I stayed at it for a while just thinking some might be home and hungry.


     It looks like there's another storm on the way for Thursday into Saturday which is just a gut punch to anyone looking to fish. Fluke ended yesterday so that's it for that. I hear the Raritan is a mess so if you go check out some place our back that tucked away from the weather. The bait is still in there and you know, find the bait, find the bass.