Monday, September 11, 2023

09.11.23 Twenty two years later...


     I don't have a routine for the anniversary of 9/11. Each year I do remember that day and the time I spent down at Ground Zero. It amazes me how many people who were alive and lived through bthat are gone and how many kids, and now adults, that were born after September 11, 2001. 


    I told Theresa, "I think I'm going to go fishing tomorrow", and she said she already knew because I had my stuff staged near the back door. I didn't expect much but this has been the week in years past where we would see mullet migrating down the beach. That means it Snake Fly season. 


        It was a little after high tide and the water looked good. It was wet wadable but I had the Orvis PRO's on. I met up with Richie and shot the shit for a bit before giving it a half-hearted attempt working the lip looking for a fluke. I thought maybe the albies might be outside of the inlet so I 


took the ride down and took a peak. A few anglers out throwing metal but I didn't see anyone hooked up. There was nothing showing, no nervous bait, no blow ups, just a weak tide exiting the inlet. If you


fish alot you can really see how the moon phases affect tides and water movement. Right now we're 4 days from the New Moon and the next Full Moon is September 29th. Today the water was hardly 


moving and any bait that was inside could easily fight the current to stay put until they can't. It was an easy ride both ways thanks to the new Jeep. What's great is the gas gauge hardly moved. And it was a pretty morning and maybe the last we'll see for a week with Hurricane Lee set to run parallel to the Jersey Shore later in the week. Sporty weather is good, but as we've seen with mullet before a storm can kill their run. So maybe they'll show after the blow hopefully with cooler fall temps and some bass here.


     After it is 9/11. The above is the helmet I wore for most of my career in the Newark Fire Dept. On it was this pin which was sold to firefighters shortly after the attack to raise monies for funerals and funds. 
Later in the day while on a Chinese food run I stopped at the town 9/11 memorial. It, like most others I have visited, is well done and peaceful. Most have some chunk of steel from the Trade Center. This one is being held by two hands coming out of ground. What's amazing is that last Friday the NYC Medical Examiner's Office released the news that two victims remains had been positively identified 22 years later. That has been a long wait for closure for the families. RIP to all the victims from that day at the Trade Center, Shanksville, Pa., and the Pentagon. And, to all the survivors who have come down with 9/11 related illnesses. They continue to suffer and add to the rising death toll from that day.