Tuesday, October 26, 2021

10.26.21 Fishin' in the rain...



     Last night I got a call from a guy looking to fly fish the surf. We talked about when might be best, and after looking at the weather forecast it shouldn't have been today. But hey, you don't know if you don't go. Woke up and was on the road at 530 am. Things out in Mercer County weren't too bad. A quick check of the basement and I could see just a small puddle from the overnight rain. On the way down 195 it was just raining on and off and when I got to the beach I was surprised.



    There was no wind, drizzling rain, and perfect conditions in front of me. Water was a tad off color but good. I was able to fish from the rocks being there just about 2 hours into the flood tide. North sides of the groins were hallowed out and there was plenty of water.....just no bait or fish. I went with a Ugly Ass Fly and either had one on that rubbed my line and broke off, or it was just the heave along the rocks that pulled my line down and then did the rock rub thing. Anyway, I'll need to get another from Leif. 




     My next fly looked good in the water, tied on a 12 inch leader on the 350 gr sinking line. I fished for about an hour and half having the whole place to myself. When I finally got back on 195 it 


was blue skies poking through the clouds and then on and off again rain throughout the day. Now I know last night the weather got jiggy along the east coast, but I'm not sure if a true nor'easter hit like we are used too. From what it seems, it traveled west of the Delaware till about Trenton, hooked a right turn east and then went up into New York. The Upper Delaware region had a ton of rain the Catskill rivers are totally blown out. 

     While on Facebook my heart sunk when I saw Captain Joe Gahrman's boat underwater at the Morgan Marina. He had just made the switch from Shark River for the fall run. Not sure what happened, but its a sweet boat powered by twin Suzuki 300's. You never know what can happen with 


these boats, either on the water, tied up on the dock, or on the boat ramp. Each time something happens it is a wake up call to us all, and there is always a teachable moment there. I wish Joe luck, good guy, good Captain, and Sykk Physh Sportfishing Charters will ride again. I hope the insurance company does him right, and soon!