Monday, July 17, 2023

07.17.23 Rescuers have a daunting task ahead...


     It's a beautiful morning here along the Delaware River. More rain last night took the sting of humidity out of the air, but for sure it will return today. I'm posting more about the tragedy that occurred across the river because it's a huge local story, has to do with the Delaware and it's tributaries, and could be a lesson for all of us that drive. 


     
     When I got home last night I went online to see the latest news. I learned that near the spot I went to yesterday afternoon they had recovered another body. As of now it's confirmed five dead and two children remained unaccounted for. Since I'm off today I couldn't help but spend some time helping out with the search, as other people from the area were doing. 


     Overnight Hough's Creek had dropped down to a trickle exposing the river bed and the surrounding foliage and brush. You could easily read the path of the water as it passed underneath the Delaware Canal. From the looks of it the water appeared to pour down Aqueduct Road, across Taylorsville Road, and even over the Delaware Canal itself. Which means the victims bodies could be anywhere. Where the water goes bodies go as well. I learned that in my time at Rescue 1 in Newark where we were responsible for water rescues and recovery. 


     As I started my way down the creek I could where the high water mark was from the night before. In the distance I could see a car wedged into the bank on the opposite side. I knew all of the adult victims had been recovered so I didn't expect to find anything searching inside. I thought about opening the glove compartment to see if there was any identifying documents, but I just left it as it was. The bumper were both ripped off so I couldn't even identify which state it was registered to. 



     When you're searching for something you just don't want to give up, especially when it comes to victims of such an enormous tragedy. I was surprised there were no search teams where I was. But, when it comes to a recovery operation, there is more planning and logistics involved than just having a bunch of people go out and search. You set up teams. You develop search grids. You X off areas searched. I kept at it for a few hours before realizing the bodies could be anywhere. There was so much


debris, forced-pressed debris, wedged into and under trees, standing and fallen, and bushes and rock piles formed by the force of the water. 

     When I was a news photographer some of the most telling images from tragedy didn't have to include the victims or rescuers. Subtle, innocent images can bring your mind to a place were the enormity of the situation can be palpable. During my search I found many personal items, no doubt fresh from being drawn into the raging waters. Some were items related to children and since this 


isn't a news site I withheld from posting. But you can get the idea. I always say things can happen to anyone, in a flash, regardless of what you think you know or do for a living. That could very well have been me, my family, or someone I know. Shit goes down that quick sometimes. These people, both local and from another state, were going about their Saturday business when the torrential rain started. Who would have thought that a tiny creek, which itself has unnamed tributaries in itself, would swell and cause such destruction. Add to it the fear of possibly being on a road you have never traveled before. Just gut wrenching. 

     On my way out along River Road several search and rescue teams were being formed including K-9 units for body detection. I stopped and informed the rescue team and State Police of the car I had located, which was upriver from where they were searching. They were working from the Delaware River up creek. After seeing what a body would have to get through to get to the big river I am confident they will be located along Hough's Creek. 

     

     I can't and won't tell anyone how or what to do in a situation like this. We have all seen those 20/20 type shows that have stories on how to escape sinking cars, house fires, and other types of emergency situations. But I can tell you what I follow and tell my family to follow as well. Don't drive into flooded roadways. It doesn't take much for your car to be lifted up from the force of the water and carried into a guardrail or flipped into a ditch. If you hit the guardrail you won't be able to open your doors. Additionally, and I saw this in the city, the flooding will displace sewer manhole covers. If you run into one of these you'll either break your neck or your car will be stuck. If you walk flooded streets always walk with a stick into front of you. If you fall in your done. 

     When people get stuck in floods, they either stay in their cars awaiting rescue, or try and exit and make a run or swim for it. I cannot, one even imagine the fear of making that decision, and two trying to  decide which to do if I had family in the car with me. 

     One thing I carry, besides a large fire extinguisher, ropes, first aid kit, crow bars and a life jacket, is the above rescue tool. I gave them to my kids as well. It'll do a few things to save yourself, your loved ones, or strangers if you are inclined to stop and save a life. 

     It does two things. One it can easily break a side window of a car to allow for rescue. And two it has a seat belt cutter in the handle so you don't have to fiddle with the seat belt button. Something you don't want to do if the car is on fire or being submerged. You can find one on Amazon, HERE. For $17 it's a bargain if you need it. I just store mine in my door so I can get to it easily. If you're planning on keeping it in your trunk under your spare tire you might as well pass. 

     Keep the familes and the rescuers in your prayers today. It is surely a recovery operation but an important one for the victim's loved ones to have some closure.