Tuesday, July 4, 2023

07.04.23 Happy July 4th....


     It's a good thing to be an American, in fact it's a great thing. I think at times we all forget just how good we have it, but, life ain't always easy. Talk with some folks from other countries and you'll get it. 


     We're blessed to have a place down in Cape May. For decades I ran to New England, specifically Newport, never really knowing the gem that sits on our most southern point in New Jersey. We went down Saturday and came back Tuesday. Did some work, hit church on the boardwalk, and got some 


invites for some good hangs at night. It wasn't a drink-too-much-hang just lots of good food and laughs with some new people we met at Cape Island. We stayed up way past out usual 8 o'clock bedtime. It  

was an all around good, but short, trip. This morning we tried a new place for breakfast at the Cape May Airport. It's called the Flight Deck Diner and not was it only great food and a cool atmosphere the 

bill came to $15.50, and I got a large milk. If you're down there and don't want to go for $35 for breakfast at say Uncle Bills it's worth finding where it is and hitting it. After a traffic-free drive home, but for Theresa not dog annoying free, it was time to hit the river. I needed it. I always need it. Fish or not. 

 

    Although the humidity was through the roof and the air temps were in the 80's the cloud cover kept the water fishable. It's days like these where the tank really comes into it's own. Quick land, a pic or not, and then some rehab in the tank. I always get them going by adding some fresh and cool water inside. 


     While it took awhile for the smaller wolf pack of fish to show on the ebb tide the bigger ones did come out to play. Before I left home I banged out a quick fly that while below looks like crap in the water it must have done something magical because the five or so I landed loved it. 





     One of these fish had to rehab diagonally as it was over 28 inches. This winter I am going to build more tanks, ones in different sizes. I've been using 1/2" acrylic but an wondering if 1/4" might work as well. 

     On my way home I stopped to look at the river from a different view. I watched a boat, a boat that shouldn't been going where they were, open it up to head upriver. I just waited for the sound of the boat hitting the rocks and sure as shit they dam near ripped the bottom of the boat off. They surely had whiplash also because as they hit I saw the three of the guys jerk froward with one falling. 


     They lost all power and just rode the current and tide downriver. I'm sure they were hoping to get to some ramp but that won't be easy without some kind of tow. This river is nasty on boats, on the waders, and on flies and fly lines. Gotta respect the water always.