Tuesday, May 4, 2010

05.04.10 From browns to blues

Back to my reality. As much as I would like to tell you I live in the Catskills or Adirondacks, I live at the Jersey shore. A week ago I was in heaven watching large brown trout sip hendrickson spinners and this week I'm in hell with these savage bluefish hitting anything with reckless abandon. I've heard from a friend that has been hitting the surf lately that the stripers and blues are in. I stopped by the 8th Ave jetty, or groin, as I have come to learn from Chris Roslan's article in Eastern Fly Fishing magazine, and there was nothing going on. I headed next to the Navesink River and the Oceanic just before high tide at 130pm. There was a few guys fishing and one caught the above fish on a metal jig. I spent about an hour casting in between the passing cars on my backcast before calling it a day. As I made my way back to the truck I couldn't help but notice that every 5 feet of the concrete was blood stained where anglers had bled out their bluefish from the blitzes that have been happening. This was fun, but I'm thinking of March Browns coming off on the Delaware!!