Thursday, February 8, 2024

02.08.24 And the (new) Helios arrives...



     So if I'm thinking of switching things up why would I pimp out the new Orvis Helios rod? Well, first, I know this blog will generate at least 1,000 sales, no, just kidding. Why? Because I really enjoy watching the business end of the fly fishing and tying industry. It fascinates me when I'm not being fascinated about striped bass. In the end Orvis wins everytime someone talks, posts, or mentions the rod launch, even if it's negative, negative press moves the chains forward as well. 

    We are, well Orvis is, a day into the launch of the new Helios. Like I posted before the launch, this rod is all about accuracy, as per Orvis. Below is the video put out by Orvis and Shawn Combs, the Nasa-like engineer who is in charge of rod design. Here it is,


     From what I see online there are 29 different models of the rod, in length and line weight, that fall into a two versions, the D, for Distance and F, for Finesse. The claim by Orvis that this rod is even more accurate than the last most accurate rod in the Helios 3 can be illustrated below. 



     It's something called "wobble testing" which looks at rod tip movement throughout the cast, particularly as the plane comes in for the landing. Less tip wobble means more distance and more accuracy. Now Orvis designed the testing apparatus for the wobble testing and they are the ones who came up with the 4x more accurate than the Helios 3 and 16x more accurate than the competition. If you 



look above why not label "Top Competitor" with the actual name of the rival rod making company. If you have it like that, flaunt it. To me, it's kind of cowardly. If you're going to pick a bar fight, at least stick around and throw a punch when it all goes down, don't slip out the back door. If I were a rival company I'd be scrambling to find an independent tester to blow Orvis's self-generated claim up. It's kind of like me filling out a survey about myself as a teacher, a survey in which I put together, and then telling everyone I am better than the rest of some of my colleagues, without naming names. 


     The price tag for the D models is $1198, which is right where I thought it would be. Interestingly, the new line comes with rods in different lengths. While we've been programmed to that 9 foot length for years the idea of a 8.5 foot 10 wt intrigues me. The 14 weight comes in at that length as well. Designed more for the boater? It'd be interested to see how it casts, at least the 10, compared to the 9 foot H2. 


      Orvis Princeton, our lone shop in New Jersey, has them at the shop and they can be taken for a practice cast out back. Call the shop to see what models they have there. I haven't been over yet but hopefully in the next day or so I will be able to put one in my hand. I heard they sold a few of the new rods so it's off to the races for them. During the summer Orvis invited some of the big-gun magazines and blogs and influencers up to the Mother ship to introduce them to the new line, well, I didn't get that invite, so I know where I stand with Orvis. Maybe they think I couldn't be sworn to secrecy. 

    And on Facebook the fun begins. Hey, it's not the 4D, it's the Helios D or F, get that shit right!