Monday, February 5, 2024

02.05.24 Might be time for the big stick....


     Been kicking some things rod-wise around since last year. I've been an Orvis guy through and through for, say, 30 plus years. I have used their rods for as long as I can remember. From the starter line through the highest end they had at the time. I have used them personally and offered them to cleints when they were in my drift boat or my center console. I'd have to say my H2 10 and 11 weights have been my favorite. I skipped over the H3 and now just days away from the Helios launch I have some figuring out to do. 

     Most people in the know direct those just starting out to spend their money on a better reel than a better rod. If you can swing both then great, but not everyone has it like that. When the Helios drops there will be those anglers, and Orvis is counting on it, that will buy the new Helios just because a new rod came out, even though they have Helios 2's, 3's and more in the gun locker. That's great, to each his own. 

    Endorsed guides, pro-staffers, rarely use "exclusive" brands with their clients. They are Orvis Endorsed but wear Simms waders. Sage pro-staff but use Nautilus reels. A lot of pro-staffers are in it for the deal or the discount. That's why their arsenal is a combination of every manufacturer there is. For me, I'm all in, to a fault, because for a while there I was looking like I belonged in an Orvis catalogue. It's just the way it is and the manufacturers don't seem to mind nor police it. The more their product is out there the better. To me it would be like a guy from the Phillies wearing a Mets cap. 



     I've been back and forth on what my next big striped bass fly rod should be. My Orvis Clearwater 12 wt. has seen it's day. The butt is missing. It's been beat up. It has served me well. I have caught big, like some real big, fish on it. Over the years several of my friends have told me about Colton Fly. A local and single person owned company from Dingman's Ferry, Pennsylvania. The owner, Bob Filger, offers fly rods and reels from 4 through 17 weight. I have heard his reels are just about the best out there on the market. 

     Today was great day for a long ride to scout. I jumped in my buddies ride after dropping Lauren off at the Philadelphia airport and we were off. It's always nice to see new water with a different vibe. It's a big river and a big river means, well should, mean bigger gear if you are going to find and fish for big 


fish in big water. While some like to go down to lighter rods when there's nothing but small fish in front of them, fighting a big fish in big current really beats the fish up. And if you're under-gunned you may, or most likely, not even land the fish at all. You shouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight. In the end the bass suffers the most. 

     I'm an all or none type of guy. Pretty much fish for striped bass. Period. Alway's been an Orvis guy. Period. The thought of switching up and going with a new company for my rods and reels is a little indimidating. Of the 2,966 posts that I have wrote here I bet "Orvis" is mentioned in at least 40% of them. Who does that serve best? Maybe it's time to reconsider my one sided loyalty and go with a local guy, who's kinda under the radar, and offers a wide range of solid products that tackle both small and huge fish. 

Who knows. To each his own. But I better decide quick as we're only a few weeks away and I'd like to start the season with some new rods and reels in my hands.