Thursday, November 5, 2015

11.5.15 Another long break from the blog......


     Well even though I haven't been posting I have ben down to the water a lot and have fished since the last post. Not much of excuse other than life, well my new life, is getting in the way. I now know what its like to be a guide and a fisherman with a separate career outside of fishing. Luckily I am settling in to the nursing job at the hospital and school seems like the end is nearing.
     I have been up and down the northern shore, mostly from Sandy Hook to the Shark River Inlet. Now living in Red Bank the closer shot for me is Long Branch north. My home waters of Long Branch south, especially Deal and Asbury, has been decimated by beach replenishment. In my travels I continue to hear about "that Thursday" when the first push of fish came in and hit the beaches. There was no Blitz-O-Ween like last year, if fact it has been slow on the beaches while the boats have been doing well. The fish are starting to arrive but in my outings bait hasn't been around, other than days when big bunker is aplenty off shore. 


     Below are some pics of "new" fishy water that I found both pre and post blow that happened a few weeks back. Although I didn't catch it was nice feeling like I had a shot, kind of like before the Army Corp blew it up. 



     I did find one spot that had very sexy structure which produced great conditions. As good as it looks though, it is dangerous and I fear that adventurous anglers could get into a jam trying to fish on or over the sand bar. It usually happens later in the season when the sand eels came in. Please fish safely and not alone. 


     I did get a text from Bill Hoblitzel one of the better known Captains and fly fishers on the Jersey Shore who let me know that he is picking fish when he gets out. He fishes south of me, but can find fish wherever he goes. 


     I got to catch up with my dear friend Al. We sat along the boards in Allenhurst catching up on life and fishing, or lack thereof. I'm busier than before, and, well, Al's a touch older, approaching 91, so he doesn't get out like he used to. In a way, I guess, the destruction of his home waters may serve him well as the lack of good beaches, and of fish, have coincided with his ability to fish less.


     This morning I fished, well no spot burn, Long Branch. Out before first light a bit earlier due to putting the clocks back last week Beautiful morning and I popped my way up and down the beach without a bite. As the sun came up I looked from Monmouth Beach down to just about Deal and found one angler, no birds, and no sign of bait or bass. 
     This Saturday I'm participating in the Orvis 301 class at IBSP. We have about 25 anglers coming from NY, NJ and PA and it should be a nice day with good conditions and a slightly better bite down there than up here. Last year we had great time, lots of learning, lots of casting, but not a nibble with 20 plus lines in the water. That's why they call it fishing and not catching, I suppose.