Monday, March 20, 2023

03.20.23 Time to revisit the S.S. Archer....


     If you'll remember last year I launched the S.S. Archer in a well known Monmouth County river. I found that boat deep in the brush along the banks of the Delaware River far from any mooring or signs of ownership. I thought it would be great. It's 8 foot long, appears wide enough to stand, and light enough to drag/carry and load into my truck. So one morning on an outgoing tide, without much wind, I launched. I don't need to re-tell the story so I'll let the below picks do the talking. 




     Somehow way out and underwater I didn't panic and was able to get it back in. It sat all winter long and when I had the 30-yard dumpster at the house Theresa suggested it was time to let it go. Neva! I know this has some real fly fishing value, to me, and could be the perfect fly fishing assault craft. But, the problem is, standing in it is a little dicey. I looked on-line and these are very sought after watercraft.


     I found this one online for sale for the basement price of $450, with a usual selling price of $2,800. What got me was the line, "I've had three dult males in this boat". So that would mean me, Leif, and another bud could go out for a day on the Raritan, well, I think that might be pushing it. Let's get back to the boat stabilization. So what to do? Just see below. 


A further Google and You Tube search brought to me these smart engineer type guys. And you know what?  They nailed it. If you have a moment it's a must watch. Three different dudes with the same

 

solution. So I have started my part list. I'll replace the oar mounts, get new sturdier oar locks, paint the thing, and of course build a stabilizer system that will surely get me just out a bit further than me on my 


ladder and will give me the opportunity to stand and cast. I also got wheels that mount to the transom so I pull the the thing around more easily without damaging the boat, well dinghy. 

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale...."