Monday, November 6, 2017

11.06.17 Schoolie invasion......




 Frustrating morning at first. Took long rides to spots that didn't show any life in the air or on the screen then took a LONG, HARD ride like a salmon trying to go upriver. When I got there there were some birds and some boats but nothing that kept me interested.


     I had started this morning on the beach and lost interest after fishing two groins and the sand between without getting a tap, or seeing anything that could keep my interest. So being in the boat and nothing happening seemed to just be the way the day would be........

So I turned towards home.......

     As I made my way home I checked on few spots, a bird here, a bird there. Nothing on the screen. Then, way off, without boat in sight, a plethora of birds was over boiling and splashing bass.......





It was that good. 

     I had the drift, maybe 1-1/2 to 2 miles all to myself, for just about three hours. I spent my time setting up, casting, hooking, releasing, and taking lots of pictures. I got so into taking pictures that I stepped on my H2 11 wt, my favorite big water beach and boat rod, and snapped it. Yes, I am an idiot, again. 



     I had birds up, bait up, bass up, screen lit up. Landed probably 25-30 fish that ranged in size from 20" to just under keeper size, with most being just fat and fun and feisty 24" schoolies. If I didn't have to get the girls from school I'd probably still be there. I had went looking for bigger fish early on but didn't find them, they are there I see the daily reports. But this a great fly-rod kinda day, and fish after fish made it that much more fun. 



     And if you ever renewed your Captain's license you know what a pain and stressor it can be...just got mine in the mail, good for 5 more years.