Friday, July 11, 2014

07.11.14 Just nice.....


     .....thats pretty much how I would describe this morning. Out early before first light throwing a sand eel fly out on the incoming tide. The wind has shifted around and it should be some time until the warming effects raise the water temps a bit. The upwelling effect from the S and SW winds has had the water temps cold, if not frigid for this time of year. I saw readings from 61 in Belmar to 47 around Seaside. I did see some bait this morning although I couldn't make out what is was.

Photo by Ray Hallgreen
     I did see some bait this morning although I couldn't make out what is was. There was some cabbage in the water, and the plethora of mussels on the beach and in the wash continues to make fishing close difficult. A few tides should clean that out. One other thing I noticed and forgot to make an image of was the huge amounts of sand shoaled up on the south sides of the groins. That's Mother Nature re-arranging her living room, and no doubt a lot of that sand is from the beach replenishment projects that have invaded the Jersey Shore this year.

Check out an article I did for the Asbury Park Press' "Hook, Line, and Sinker" section on Pride Tackles Kids Fluke Camp....you can see it HERE, or buy the paper.