Friday, November 1, 2013

11.01.13 Nice pre dawn bass in big south winds....


     I was hoping for more of a southwest wind but found it blowing 25-35 mph from the south just before first light. There was really only one game in town at the end of the incoming, that was fishing off the groins on the north side. The goal of the morning was to 1) Not hook myself 2) Not get blown into the water 3) Have fun and 4) Hopefully catch a fish.
     Had the rocks all to myself until first light when a handful of guys walking on the groin were surprised I was out throwing flies in the big wind and even more surprised that I got a keeper bass. Threw a black Snake Fly and hooked real nice fish a ways out. As he took line I could feel a huge tangle as it passed through my hands, the stripping guide, and then stop on one of the tip guides. I didn't

                             

think it was going to go well. I though for sure he would pull the tip section off or break the rod. I fought it for a bit bowing to the fish until I could get my hands on the knot and undo most of it and let it take line as I made my way back to the beach. After the release in the wash I got the line straight and went back out. I found a pod of weakfish and caught a nice one and had a few bites, one will need dentures because I set the hook like it was a tarpon, not doubt pulling out it's teeth.


    I sat out dead high at 6 am and came back as it started to ebb about 730. The wind was still there and the only game for me was trying to pick the pockets from the rocks. The wind was so strong from the



south that it felt like a blow dryer set on hot on my face. It took a while for the surf to calm itself enough to jump out on some other groins. With the light around I switched to white Snake Fly and then to a large sand eel pattern that got me one good tug that I missed the hook set on. At mid morning the rain came and pelted the left side of my face which was as good as any time to call it a day.

Even though the conditions were tough there's no other weather that I'd rather fly fish for stripers in.