Thursday, January 17, 2013

01.17.13 Found a trio of bass down south



     Got out at 1PM an hour into the ebb. Found the water on the low side, and on the turbid side, and just not that interesting looking side. I made a few casts and then decided to head south and see if I could find cleaner water and some fish. My second stop stop looked better than the first....but still not good enough. Got back in the truck and made the huge detour to get south and found what I was looking for. I fished for about an hour and a half on the ending of the outgoing. Had three fish over the rocks, missed a few more, and had a real nice fish follow and study it right up to the rocks. Had some nice current tight into the rocks and swimming that orange and white fly deep was the ticket. The rest of the time I fished it like a bucktail, as evidenced that both eyes are no longer there.
     I got to talking to two guys soaking clams. I first had to step over their three keeper bass, two over 30 inches and the other just under. They had a good day......catching 51 bass. I was there for fish 49, 50, and 51. One guy caught 33, the other 18. I couldn't imagine catching 51 bass today.....or any day for that matter.