Tuesday, December 13, 2011

12.13.11 Out early, skinny water, one hit to keep me interested...


     I've been hearing of a steady night pick of bass so I decided to give it a go. I had a window real early so at 430 I was down at 8th Ave. Gus was already down there and on the rocks. The first thing I noticed- the water was super skinny. 92% full moon, west wind, low tide. I started at the tip and worked my way back towards The Flume. Just as I questioned why I was casting to just about the exposed rocks I had a fish blow up on my end-of-the-seaon-worn-out-beat-up-barbell-eyes-gone-Clouser. I went back at it for a bunch of more casts without another bump.

The boat reports out of Atlantic Highlands have been real good. There are plenty of large bass being caught and guys have had there fun chasing inshore bluefin tunas around.

Water temps are dropping pretty steady now. This morning NOAA has the water on the outside at 49 degrees. We went from 68-58 down to around 53 for a long while and now it's clicking off a degree at a time every few days. The IBSP and LBI bite has slowed down. The sand eels are still there and the bass show themselves a few times a day. It's a pick-em fishery. Take a shot, pick a place, and hope they come in or drive past while your there.