Tuesday, September 27, 2011

09.27.11 Checked out Keyport, found more bait than predator fish in the Raritan Bay


     If you can't find the fish, maybe it's a good time to watch and catch the bait. Several anglers were on the waterfront fishing in Keyport this afternoon. While I went there with a friend to go to Mike's Subs, I pulled out my fly rod and walked the bulkhead just in case something was happening. Nothing. One guy was netting spearing and killifish, ie; killies; ie; mummichogs. These brackish water baitfish are great because they can tolerate low oxygen and warm waters. 

I am on my way up to the Adirondacks for more post Irene home damage work. Hopefully will be back in time as the surf erupts with albies and stripers!

Somebody keep me posted! 732.261.7291 call or text or email me colin@theaverageangler.com