Friday, August 26, 2011

08.26.11 Out this weekend for The New York Times covering Irene




   I spent the better part of the day covering preparations for the arrival of Hurricane Irene. I was in Long Beach Island by 630 am and starting making images soon after. Tons of people boarding up, packing up, and hauling out. The mandatory evacuations began mid day and people were on the move before they got kicked out. The impression I got from most people was, "I'm not leaving!"
    I continued my way up north through Seaside Heights to Asbury Park. It was more of the same with just a little less urgency. The barrier island folks were all business.



I'll be back at it early tomorrow continuing through till Sunday. I hope it passes, but if it does I hope I'm close to make good images.



And, while on my way home from Princeton last night after shooting the last part of the scallop assignment I think I may have found my next boat, for real. It's a 21 foot Seaswirl center console. Super clean and great second owner. I might check it out tomorrow before the storm.