Friday, January 28, 2011

01.28.11 Off to the Bimini Big Game Club in February




      I have been invited down to the Bimini Big Game Club in the Bahamas for a few days at the end of February for the first Writers Invitational Bonefish Challenge. In addition to the fishing, the Club will be celebrating the 40th anniversary of the World Record catch by Angler Jerry Lavenstein, who caught a 16 lb bonefish on a 12 lb line in 1971. There are several other events planned during the week. 



The Big Game Club was founded in the 1930's and after a long and storied history was reopened during the summer of 2010. The Big Game Club is the first Guy Harvey Outpost. Guy Harvey, well known, artist, scientist, angler, and conservationalist is part of a team that will offer fishing and diving around this island in the Bahamas. Bimini, the westernmost part of the Bahamas, is located about 55 miles east of Miami. The largest islands are North Bimini and South Bimini. The Big Game Club is located in Alice Town, on the island of North Bimini. See the map below. 

                                                

It should be a fun trip and an opportunity to enjoy the resort and bonefish on the legendary flats. I will be there with other photographers and writers and celebrity anglers. I am already planning out what and how much photo equipment I will need to take on the trip. I have booked my Newark to Ft. Lauderdale round trip airplane tickets so I am all ready to go. I have started to do some research on the island and the history of the fishing that has made it such a desired destination for decades. Can't come soon enough, I am sick of this winter and snow, which is still coming down, again.