Wednesday, November 17, 2010

11.17.10 Blown out at 415 am...


     Started tossing and turning around 330 am. Starting picturing guys laying into fish as I lay in my toasty bed. I looked outside and could see that it rained and there was a decent wind. But I was getting up early to get the kids off to school so why not, let me join the guys down in Asbury.
     I pulled into the treacherous parking area for 8th Avenue and when I finally got a spot, I looked around, and saw no one. There were two cars parked away from where the anglers park, and if you know what I mean, then you know what I mean. So I went super simple. Crocs on my feet, pants, light windbreaker, baseball cap. Fly rod, reel, line and one fly. That was it. The water was looking good and I started to cast into the bowl. I was there about 10  minutes and it started to rain, and rain, and the wind kicked in from the west. And then it rained harder. By the time I got to my car I my underwear was saturated. I'm all for tough conditions, but I wasn't having any of this. I was done. I ran out to Route 130 to pick up some supplies and a few flies and the rest of my day is full of work and dad duty.

Here's what the rest of the week looks like, according to NOAA-


Hazardous marine condition(s):


Synopsis...STRONG LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE ACROSS SOUTHEAST CANADA, AND WEAK HIGH PRESSURE WILL FOLLOW LATER TONIGHT IN THE WAKE OF THE ASSOCIATED COLD FRONT. STRONG HIGH PRESSURE WILL FOLLOW OVER THE SOUTHEASTERN U.S. FRIDAY. A COOL FRONT WILL MOVE SOUTH ACROSS THE MID ATLANTIC STATES LATE SATURDAY AND STALL, AND THEN THAT FRONT WILL MOVE NORTH OF THE WATERS BY MONDAY AS A WARM FRONT. 

Today...W winds 20 to 25 kt. Gusts up to 40 kt. Seas 5 to 8 ft.

Tonight...W winds 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 40 kt... Diminishing to 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 30 kt after midnight. Seas 5 to 8 ft...subsiding to 3 to 5 ft. 

Thu...W winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt. Seas 2 to 3 ft.

Thu Night...NW winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 30 kt. Seas 2 to 4 ft. 

Fri...N winds 15 to 20 kt...becoming NW 10 to 15 kt in the afternoon. Seas 2 to 4 ft. 

Fri Night...W winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 2 to 4 ft. 

Sat...W winds 15 to 20 kt...becoming N after midnight. Seas 2 to 4 ft. 

Sun...E winds 10 to 15 kt...becoming S. Seas 2 to 3 ft.