Friday, November 12, 2010

11.12.10 What the hell is offshore?? Bust out da' clams



     Last year we had Nor' Ida and it wreaked havoc on the east coast. This year we have Tomas parked offshore and causing all kinds of high surf and brown swells. Now I know why Sea Bright was flooded out yesterday at high tide. It is supposedly going to get better by Sunday into next week. Here's the lowdown from NOAA as of today:

 951 AM EST FRI NOV 12 2010
 
 
 .SYNOPSIS FOR THE COASTAL WATERS FROM SANDY HOOK NJ TO FENWICK
 ISLAND DE AND FOR DELAWARE BAY...
 
 THE GRADIENT BETWEEN A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WELL OFF THE MID ATLANTIC
 COAST AND A STRONG HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM BUILDING SOUTH FROM QUEBEC
 WILL WEAKEN GRADUALLY INTO SATURDAY, BUT THE LOW WILL CONTINUE TO
 GENERATE SWELLS AS IT MEANDERS SLOWLY EAST. A COLD FRONT IS FORECAST
 TO APPROACH THE AREA WATERS ON MONDAY AND STALL OVER THE AREA INTO
 TUESDAY.
 

     So after last nights midnight run to Asbury, I decided after some morning work to check out Deal to see if things sat down yet. Negative. Waves as big as ever at the start of the outgoing tide. Found one guy throwing clams into the rough surf from about 15 foot above the water line. I wondered what he would do if he hooks into a big one. Well just as I was leaving he did hook a small 24 inch fish that I ran down onto the beach and released for him after a quick pic. I moved onto Asbury and as I pulled into the lot a guy was loading a fresh keeper into the cooler he got on clams. I fished the wash for about an hour with no results. I might be done and down for the next few days. And next week tons of photo assignments scheduled.