Monday, October 25, 2010

10.25.10 No fly rods, no problem, check this set up out


So if you follow this blog, you know 1) my buddy closed his door on my first line rod, and then 2) while using my back up rod, I over muscled it and snapped it in half. So I have no rod to use. So get this, I found and old surf rod in the garage and set my fly reel in the seat and tried to cast it, forget it. I can remember being at the Somerset Fly Fishing Show and watching Lefty Kreh cast with the tip section of a fly rod, they you go. So here's what I did. I drove a PVS rod holder into the sand and placed the surf rod in it. I remove the tip section of the rod and used that as
my fly rod. I would strip off enough fly line so I could "shoot" it. Believe it or not, it worked. I was getting 25 foot casts into the wash. The SE winds didn't make it easy, especially when the high water came in. But what it did was, it made me concentrate on the wash. My buddy Al got two shorts and a regular, Bob, had a nice keeper. It seems to be an early bite, just as the moon goes, and before the true sunrise happens. Guys are finding bass loaded with sand eels. Lucky for me while I was there I met up with Nesmond who let me borrow his TFO, until my spey rod gets here this week.