Thursday, October 21, 2010

10.21.10 Hit it again....

I can see it's hard being a striper fisherman, especially if you work from home or work locally. If you take a train into the city or commute far all you can do is wonder several times a day, " I wonder if they're in?". For me, I work and on and off again schedule that includes several days a week in my home office in front of the computer. And that just doesn't go well with being a striper fisherman. I am also shooting down to the beach or the jetty to see what's going on. I do it, and other do it more, at least three times a day. This morning I thought I would check Deal and drove to Phillips Ave to see what was up. There was bait in the water, mostly rain fish that were being chased by snappers. There was an occasional mullet, shad or bunker that would flip out of the water but I could never focus in quick enough to accurately name it. There was another guy who came down to check the beach out and he talked me into fishing for about 2 hours. He worked the jetty to the tip, and I concentrated on the cut and wash on the north side. I had a few snappers following my flies in but that was it. The SW wind and the low tide turned the water a sandy brown as I left. I think I will give it a go tomorrow a.m., same place where I heard they had fish this morning.