Monday, August 23, 2010

08.23.10 Great debate on Catch and Release

Since I have been working more for The New York Times I have been reading it more often and spending time on their website. I came across some thing cool in one of their Opinion section. It was a discussion and debate on Catch and Release. Very, very interesting.

Words like, pain, predation, mortality, and food kept my interest peaked. I have to say, I have drunk the catch and release juice for a long time. I can't remember the last time I kept and ate a trout. The last fish I kept, well my sons fish, was a 30 something inch northern pike he caught last year in the Adirondacks. And you know what, after a watching a quick You-Tube video from some guy in Canada on how to fillet one, it was fantastic after we egg dipped it, floured it, and pan fried it.

But there's something about those trout. I do fish a lot. I do catch a fair share of fish. My favorite part of fly fishing is the take. Sometimes I have fished a dry without a hook, just to see the take. I could do two things and be happy. See the take, and release the fish. The fight. The net. The taking out the fly. I could do without.

Just let me see that rise, and the take. And I'd be fine.

Check out the debate HERE

Gotta go, just had a root canal and my face hurts!