Saturday, February 20, 2010

02.20.10 "Take your limit, please!"


So I came up with idea the other day. Finally I have a good idea about something. It's free, easy to do, and will help a lot. I was walking down to river the other day and saw some garbage sticking out of the snow. I started picking it up and wondered why I don't pick up garbage every time I go out. I think it's because there is so much that I just don't want to keep picking up garbage while I fish. SO, my idea will help me enjoy my time fishing while doing my part to help clean up where we fish.
It's called "Take your limit, please!" . Every time you go fishing you either use the set creel limit or come up with a number and you remove that amount of garbage while you fish. The picture above is of my "catch" while fishing the West Branch of the Delaware in Hancock. Not bad for a few minutes!
If you fish 100 times a year, and remove say 5 pieces of garbage each time, that's 500 pieces at the end of the year. If we multiply that by 100,000 anglers, that's 500,000 cigarette butts, bottles, cans, bikes, tires, plastic bags, mono line, bobbers, tampon applicators, and who knows what else we can keep out of the rivers and oceans, and off the banks and beaches where we fish!