Tuesday, May 19, 2009

05.19.09 Trout fishing at Exit 82 on the Parkway?


First things. I am glad that our West Branch trip this year didn't start Sunday the 17th. With rain the WB was up at 3,000 cfs at Hale Eddy. It has dropped and is today at 525 cfs. Finally the guideboats can float the upper West Branch. Today, I traveled south on the Garden State Parkway and went to the Toms River. I fished the Trout Conservation Area located inside Riverbank Park. The first thing I noticed, and haven't in a long while, was the fresh tire tracks from the NJ DEP stocking trucks that were here yesterday putting in some fish. Funny thing, trout hunters read water, stalk fish, in New Jersey, we read the dirt leading to the river too see where and when they stocked. As soon as I saw the river I was reminded of my early days trout fishing. Maybe 10-15 wide, difficult access, branches everywhere, and not a trout in sight. The water was clear and 56 degrees. I started out with a hares ear and then worked a wet through the many bends and holes that are formed by fallen trees and undercut banks. Not a thing for me. I met up with a bunch of folks using what you really need here, worms, powerbait, spinners, and even a rapala- that took a nice stocked brookie for a guy. As soon as I saw the river I was reminded of my early days trout fishing. Maybe 10-15 wide, difficult access, branches everywhere, and not a trout in sight. The water was clear and 56 degrees. I started out with a hares ear and then worked a wet through the many bends and holes that are formed by fallen trees and undercut banks. Not a thing for me. I met up with a bunch of folks using what you really need here, worms, powerbait, spinners, and even a rapala- that took a nice stocked brookie for a guy.